Username:    Password:    Remember me     

Forums
:: Forums :: General Board :: General

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
How to create/add new animations for rune?
Moderators: Hawk, Onaga, test
Author Post
rubening87
Sun May 07 2017, 03:10AM
Registered Member #389
I loved the "coming soon" mod of onaga and mute, and i saw there were new animations.

I would like to ask mute since you're the one in charge of the animations in that project, how did you do those.. I mean is it posible in some way to use 3dmax or maya, and export to a file that we can import to rune, or we have to do some kind of frame by frame import with pygmalion ( i remember that was the method years ago).

( i could export all animations with the Umodel tool) and open in 3dmax but i think theres no way i could import new ones that easy, right? HEHE!

do you have experience in animation with maya too? if that , i would like to ask you something regarding "RUNE SKELETON" retargeted into another biped skeletal(maybe humanIK or BIPED from 3dmax) sharing same hierarchy?

Thank you in advance, would love to help you with animations in rune if i could give a hand!

[ Edited Sun May 07 2017, 03:13AM ]
mute
Sun May 07 2017, 11:24AM

Registered Member #509
wrote ...
i'm creating rune animations into unreal engine 4

You will need Umodel ... recently updated to support Unreal 4 engine animations ... This tool allow to extract all Rune animations from any *.ums files to *.psk and *.psa that you can then export to
3ds Max with ActorX Importer script ...

wrote ...
I would like to ask mute since you're the one in charge of the animations in that project, how did you do those..

Actually most of them are made from the code... like the animation you can see in the video where player is carrying a body on his shoulder ...
It is made by rotating individual joints in the script ... it was made as a prove of concept rather than a useful method of adding new animations to the game ...

wrote ...
I mean is it posible in some way to use 3dmax or maya, and export to a file that we can import to rune, or we have to do some kind of frame by frame import with pygmalion ( i remember that was the method years ago).

Pygmalion is one way to do it. You can use it to import models in to Rune or export models from Rune ...
To import animations in to Rune you have to use Rune model import plug-ins for Milkshape 3D. Example
Plug-in was never finished and it have it's limitations.

wrote ...
do you have experience in animation with maya too? if that , i would like to ask you something regarding "RUNE SKELETON" retargeted into another biped skeletal(maybe humanIK or BIPED from 3dmax) sharing same hierarchy?

Not sure if i understand that correctly ... you wish to use rune skeletal model joints positions coordinates (in animations) on a different skeletal model ? If that's the case i would try translate it trough *.smd format ... but i have no idea would that work .
rubening87
Sun May 07 2017, 12:02PM
Registered Member #389

yes yes i got the tool already and exported all psk and psa files. but if i ever createa a rune "miniproject" for ue(that for sure i will make soon or later) i will need to use new skeletons i'm not going to use the old skeleton of rune. and neither the old models. I will try to make something as a base. and for that i'm already making the animations of rune, manually frame by frame(keyframe) and trying to copy the attacks. i will make a NEW run animation for sure, and most of the attacks will remain almost the same.

So there was no animation import in that "MOD"... it was really a challenge to do animations with joint movements. was really nice to be honest.

Thanks for your hand and your reply.

And yes... i would like to know if theres a minimum posibility to translate coords and rotations from bones of the rune skeleton to any other Biped skeleton using the same hierarchy. that would speedup the process. maybe i should try to ask in the UE4 Forum. Some kind of RETARGETING... but i dont know how that would really work from an old skeleton with "HELPERS" to a newgen skel.

thank you so much for your help!
mute
Sun May 07 2017, 06:46PM

Registered Member #509
wrote ...
yes yes i got the tool already and exported all psk and psa files. but if i ever createa a rune "miniproject" for ue(that for sure i will make soon or later) i will need to use new skeletons i'm not going to use the old skeleton of rune. and neither the old models. I will try to make something as a base. and for that i'm already making the animations of rune, manually frame by frame(keyframe) and trying to copy the attacks. i will make a NEW run animation for sure, and most of the attacks will remain almost the same.

Best way to do that would be just modify animations you want to change ... like run animation
Making new skeleton (if you want to use Rune animations) is rather pointless ... it would have to look exactly the same as current skeleton ... so ... why ?

wrote ...
So there was no animation import in that "MOD"... it was really a challenge to do animations with joint movements. was really nice to be honest.

The bow idle pose and bow shooting animation was imported ... but I'm not good at this so i prefer to modify existing animations.
Like alerted guards walking "with weapons out" animation (upper body part is almost the same as normal but the legs animation is replaced from running to walking ... and head position is change)
sitting on dragon (you can see it in the video) was change since model was different then the original beetle model
guards sitting animation (very bad one i should say) ... and few other.
Since they are partially based on existing animations (only upper body half is modify for example while legs remain the same or are part of a different animation) they look quite natural ... well at least more than if i would do them from the scratch.

wrote ...
And yes... i would like to know if theres a minimum posibility to translate coords and rotations from bones of the rune skeleton to any other Biped skeleton using the same hierarchy. that would speedup the process. maybe i should try to ask in the UE4 Forum. Some kind of RETARGETING... but i dont know how that would really work from an old skeleton with "HELPERS" to a newgen skel.

As I said I would try Half Life *.smd format.
It can be all edit within the notepad. I use it to combine and transfer (from half life to rune) animations ... it work ... sort of ... but it was like 10 years ago ... so maybe there are better tools to do it
rubening87
Mon May 08 2017, 04:06PM
Registered Member #389
mute wrote ...

Best way to do that would be just modify animations you want to change ... like run animation
Making new skeleton (if you want to use Rune animations) is rather pointless ... it would have to look exactly the same as current skeleton ... so ... why ?

yes but i would like to add some IK on the feet and i dont know if i can add that without breaking all animations? xD
mute
Mon May 08 2017, 04:43PM

Registered Member #509
wrote ...
yes but i would like to add some IK on the feet and i dont know if i can add that without breaking all animations? xD

IK handle ... as far as i remember is a new joint that control rotation of start and end joint in the chain ... right ?
New joint would probably mess up existing animation ...at least it would in Milkshape and 3ds Max (if i remember correctly) ... not sure if it would in Maya

[ Edited Mon May 08 2017, 04:44PM ]
rubening87
Wed May 17 2017, 11:37AM
Registered Member #389
yes.. anyway soon ill get my trackers of htc vive and start doing some ikinema mocaps with htc vive:) that will accelerate the animation process. i sent you a pm. hope you can give me a hand there.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF